Beer is the most popular alcoholic beverage in the United States and, possibly, the world. It comes in a wide variety of styles, flavors, and packaging. Over the last decade or so, there has been a huge demand for craft beer. Microbreweries have been popping up nationwide with a new, bold flavor and interesting name for their beer. Now scientists are getting on the beer bandwagon. They are currently researching and developing a new beer formula that will actually cure a hangover. Yes, you read that correctly. There has always been an old wives tale that they best hangover cure is to start drinking again. That may eventually become good advice. Brad Reifler has learned that the scientists are working towards a goal of an electrolyte packed beer that will help retain the body’s liquid rather than dehydrating it as alcohol typically does. If this beer eventually comes to fruition, there will be a whole bunch of thrilled college students.
Many of us have trouble falling asleep at a reasonable hour, as well as staying awake during the day and food is most likely the culprit.
Healthy individuals like Alexei Beltyukov know that food is directly associated with serotonin, a key hormone that, along with vitamin B6, B12 and folic acid, helps promote healthy sleep. More on Beltyukov can be found on Behance.net.
Here are some examples of foods and nutrients that give you that rest yous’re looking for;
1 Complex carbohydrates: whole grain products including breads, cereals, pasta and crackers comprehensive and include brown rice provides complex carbohydrates.
Avoid simple carbohydrates including refined flour products and sweets like cookies, cakes and pastries and other sugary foods. These foods tend to reduce serotonin levels and do not promote sleep.
2. Lean protein: lean proteins include low-fat cheese, turkey, chicken and fish. These foods are high in the amino acid tryptophan, which tends to increase serotonin levels
On the other hand, it is recommended to avoid high-fat cheeses, chicken wings or deep fried fish. These foods take longer to digest and may keep you awake
3. Heart Healthy Fats: To strengthen your heart ditch the saturated fats for unsaturated fats. They boost your level of serotonin and can even improve your mood. Eat more peanut butter, walnuts, and almonds.
Saturated and trans fats like potato chips, potato snacks and other packaged snacks are likely high in the bad fats and tend to lower serotonin levels.
4. Drinking: certain drinks can promote or prevent sleep. A good drink to take before bedtime is a warm glass of milk or herbal tea like chamomile or mint tea.
It has been believed for decades now that carbohydrates are needed for optimal athletic performance. It was also always recommended that a diet that is rich in fats was not optimal. The conceptual belief was that fatty foods would not be a proper source of energy or fuel and would really just cause an increase in weight gain. Recently however, scientists are beginning to conclude that more and more athletes are using a high fat diet to increase their performance levels.
If dissected it does seem probable that a high fat diet could help performance. Even the best athlete is pristine shape often consumes a large amount of calories in order to gain more muscle mass. Carbohydrates alone cannot always accomplish this. Dietary fat is not as immediately available to the body as carbs are but this does not mean that over time the consumption of fattier foods might not lead to increased performance levels.
It seems that every few years there is some sort of current diet fad that advises us on what to eat in order to live a long and healthy life. People have lost weight on all kinds of diets but what is most important is what type of long term diet is most beneficial while trying to live a life that is free of disease and ailments. A recent study completed by the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee determined that a diet that is based off of plant ingredients rather than animal based ingredients was likely to be the most beneficial for people of all ages.
Eating plant based foods means you consume lots of fruits and vegetables. You can also incorporate ingredients such as soy and whole grains. Animals based ingredients such as red meat, poultry and so on should be consumed in small amounts and with moderation. Protein is necessary but there are other ways to consume protein without overloading on meat, poultry or fish. Gianfrancesco Genoso has found that, basically, it is recommended we consume a diet that is similar to what the very first humans ate. They ate off the land and didn’t consume processed foods.
These guidelines are recommended for anyone over the age of two. A child younger than that has their own specific nutrition guidelines in order to develop and grow properly. Plant based foods when consumed by young children and adults will lead to less inflammation in the body, less illness, less disease and a greater feeling of well being overall.
Our bodies are constantly exposed to toxins daily. We breathe in pesticides, smoke, air pollution and even toxins in some of the cleaning agents we use. The liver is one of the largest and most important glands in the human body. Learn why it is important to cleanse the liver so it functions at its best.
• Detoxifies your blood to remove harmful substances like alcohol, drugs and toxins.
• Converts stored fat and sugars to usable energy when needed.
• Stores iron and vitamins.
• Produces bile for digesting fats.
• Breaks down insulin, hormones and hemoglobin.
• Destroys red blood cells that are old and no longer needed.
Common Foods for Cleansing the Liver
• Avocados have the natural ability to protect your liver from harm or damage. A recent Japanese study indicates that compounds contained in avocados protect livers from a toxin called galactosamine, which is known to cause damage.
• Lime juice or lemon juice are both exceptional for detoxifying the liver. Add one tablespoon of juice to a cup of warm water and drink it early in the morning.
• Garlic is easily added to many recipes and it helps to detoxify and reduce liver inflammation.
• Cilantro is a tasty herb used in many dishes. It is particularly good for removing heavy metals.
Keeping garlic, cilantro, lime juice and avocados available for meals is not expensive. They add a bit of flavor to many dishes and help to cleanse your liver so it works efficiently. Health-conscious people like Susan McGalla will definitely be adding these foods to her diet.